DR. MARCUS K. MINES was born in Camden in 1869, to Christopher J. Mines Jr. and his wife, the former Mary A. Cavanaugh. The Mines family appear in the 1880 census and the 1887-1891 Camden City Directories at 265 Pine Street. Christopher Mines Jr. supported his family as a tobacconist. He was also active politically and held a number of posts in city government at one time or another. Christopher Mines Jr. served as Camden County Sheriff in 1902 and 1903. Grandfather Christopher Mines Sr. was also active in Camden's civic and political circles.
Marcus Mines was educated in a private school in Camden, and then graduated from the Jefferson College medical school in Philadelphia. Returning to Camden to practice medicine, he married Catherine Cooper around 1896, at the age of 27. Dr. Mines served as the president of the Camden Board of health, was a member of the Camden City and Camden County Medical Societies, and was a member of the board of Camden's municipal hospital.
Dr. Mines did notable work with Dr. Henry H. Davis when Camden was hit by the influenza epidemic of 1918. When the 1920 Census was taken, Dr. Mines and his family resided at 532 West Street, in South Camden. He later purchased a home at 573 Stevens Street.
Dr. Marcus K. Mines died at his home, 573 Stevens Street, on August 26, 1936, after a long illness. He was survived by his wife, Catherine Cooper Mines, and a daughter, Mrs. Emily O'Reilly, of New York City.
Dr. Mines' uncle William W. Mines, was also active in Republican politics in Camden throughout the latter part of the 1800s and early 1900s. William W. Mines was an original member of the Camden Fire Department and for many years was in charge of Camden's Water Department.
December 22, 1897
Click on Image for PDF
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE