Arthur
A.
Wingate


 

ARTHUR A. WINGATE was born in Maryland in September of 1868, according to the 1900 Census. He was one of at least five children born to Reuben and Hannah Wingate. The family was living in New Castle, Delaware when the census was taken in 1880. Reuben Wingate worked as a millwright. The Wingates moved to Camden, New Jersey in the mid-1880s. They are not listed in the 1885 City Directory, but had come to the city by the time the 1887-1888 edition was compiled. Arthur Wingate first appears in the 1887-1888 Directory, living with his parents at 718 New Street. He remained at home through at least 1890, working as a plumber.

Arthur Wingate married to Letitia "Lettie" Wynocker around 1894. There were four children, two of whom, daughters Edith M. and Bertha, were living in 1900. City Directories from 1895 through 1897 show the family at 534 South 7th Street. Arthur Wingate was working as a ropemaker at the Camden Iron Works. In the late 1890s the family left Camden. 

The 1900 Census has the Wingates living in the Borough of Scottsdale, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, where he worked as a rope maker. The family, which then included Lettie's 11 year- old sister Helen, returned to Camden shortly thereafter.

Arthur A. Wingate was living in Camden's Ninth Ward when, on February 19, 1905 he was appointed to the Camden Fire Department to take the place of Edgar Bolton. The 1906 City Directory lists the family at 709 Royden Street, as does the 1910 census and the 1918-1919 City Directory. By January of 1920, Arthur Wingate and his wife and oldest daughter had moved to 540 South 9th Street. By the end of 1923 they had moved to 542 South 7th Street, where they remained through at least 1942. Arthur and Lettie Wingate are listed in Camden City Directories at that address as late as 1943. The are not listed, however, in the 1947 edition. 

Arthur Wingate was still serving with the Camden Fire Department as late as 1930. He retired during the 1930s. 


Philadelphia Inquirer - February 20, 1906
Arthur Wingate - Edgar Bolton

Philadelphia Inquirer - December 20, 1910

This 1912 Robinson Combination Chemical and Hose Wagon was assigned to Engine Company 2. It was one of two purchased as the first motorized apparatus in the Department. Pictured in this 1913 photograph are (l to r): Fireman John Lennox, Wagon Chauffer Harry Hankins, Firemen William Elberson, Joseph Earnest, Martin Carrigan, and Captain George Wade. Accompanying them are members of the engine crew: Stoker Arthur Wingate, Driver Joseph Johnson and Engineer John Augusts "Gus" Dold.


Philadelphia Inquirer - February 2, 1919
John A. Dold - William Buzine - Robert Whitley 
Arthur Wingate
Engine Company 7 - Engine Company 5

Philadelphia Inquirer - November 13, 1915

Engine Company 3 - Broadway - Kaighn Avenue - Daniel Smith - Arthur Wingate - Michael Brown
Andrew Fritz -
Locust Street - Cooper Hospital

RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE