AMERICAN BATTLE MONUMENTS COMMISSION
World War II Honor Roll

George H. Morrow

Private, U.S. Army

32951241

36th Engineer Combat Regiment

Entered the Service from: New Jersey
Died: February 28, 1944
Buried at: Plot D 1015
                  Beverly National Cemetery
                  Beverly NJ
Awards: Purple Heart

 


PRIVATE GEORGE H. MORROW was the son of William H. and Hazel Morrow. He was born in Magnolia NJ on August 12, 1924. The Morrow family was originally from Pennsylvania. They had lived at 3452 Ainsley Street in Philadelphia. By April of 1930, William Morrow, then a stationary engineer for the Reading Railroad, had purchased a home at the 117 Lincoln Avenue, the corner of Lincoln Avenue and Warwick Road in Magnolia NJ. George Morrow was active in the Magnolia Baptist Church, and the Boy Scouts. He was a graduate of Camden County Vocational School in Pennsauken NJ.

George Morrow was inducted into the United States Army, and was assigned to the 36th Engineer Combat Regiment. The Regiment had landed in West Morocco on 8 November 1942 and operated the port of Fedala.

In April 1943, the regiment was attached to the Fifth Army invasion center for pre-invasion training. The regiment landed at Licata, Sicily in July 1943 as part of General Patton’s 7th Army. The 36th Engineer Regiment remained in Licata to repair and operate the port for a month while the 7th Army advanced to clear out Sicily. The operation drew to close and the regiment returned to Bizerte, Africa, where it was assigned to Fifth Army and training was resumed for another amphibious operation.

The regiment made its third amphibious attack at Salerno, Italy on 10 September 1943. The following day the regiment was blooded as infantry and incurred its first attack, at the same time capturing enemy equipment and taking prisoners. October 1943 found the battalion involved in the advance down the Montecorvino-Montella Road - this was known as the month of "mud and blood."

In January 1944, the Regiment moved to Afragola; this was the beginning of the now famous Anzio Beach. This was also began the greatest forging period through combat operations the Regiment was to undergo. January 22, 1944, invasion day at Anzio, on the beach itself, the U.S. 36th Engineer Combat Regiment bulldozed exits, laid corduroy roads, cleared mines, and readied the port of Anzio to receive its first landing ship, tank (LST), an amphibious assault and supply ship, by the afternoon of D-day.

By February 1944, the whole regiment was committed as infantry and pitted against some of the elite of the German Army, although its primary mission was not infantry. During this period,  at Anzio where, for fifty days, soldiers wearing the seahorse shoulder patch held seven miles of front lines and earned the distinction by the Germans as "The Little Seahorse Division". The 36th Engineer Regiment played a valiant role to the epitome of success during this period of hell and fire. The Regiment sustained its heaviest casualties with 74 killed and 336 wounded in action. Private George Morrow was killed in action on February 28, 1944.

Private Morrow was survived by his parents, brothers Gilbert and William, and a sister Hazel. His body was returned home after the war. He was buried at Beverly National Cemetery in Beverly NJ on August 4, 1948.


Camden Courier-Post

August 2, 1948


RETURN TO CAMDEN COUNTY WAR DEAD INDEX

RETURN TO MAGNOLIA NJ WAR MEMORIAL

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE