Our Lady of Mt. Carmel
School
Kindergarten - 1953


In 1903 Camden saw the founding of the Italian language parish of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, originally know as the "Italian Catholic Church" that had grown out of the pastoral work done among the Italian immigrants by Father Michael Di Ielsi.  The church building itself was built at South 4th and Division Streets around the year 1907, and the bell tower added in 1945. 

The Church was not only a spiritual center but a social one as well. The Young Men's Catholic Club of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church maintained its clubhouse nearby at 825-827 Clare Street, the corner of Clare Street and  Division Street

The photo below was taken in 1953. At that time the school had well over 1000 students enrolled.

This photo was furnished by Ron Arcaini, in the hope that some, if not all, of these children be identified. If you recognize anyone in this photograph, please contact me by e-mail.

e-mail Phil Cohen
December 15, 2014


Our Lady of Mt. Carmel School Kindergarten - 1953
Click on Image to Enlarge - Click Link Below to Supersize

Bottom row: Unknown - Unknown - Unknown - Dominic ? - Nick DeAndrea - William Attardi - Father Mike - Salvatore Recchia - Unknown - Unknown - Unknown - Unknown - Unknown
Second row: Paul Cavaliere - Unknown - Unknown - Unknown - Ron Arcaini - Unknown - Unknown - Johnny DiDio? - Al Juliano - Unknown - Unknown - Unknown
Third Row: Louis Abbott - Marie Profico? - Unknown - May Caparusso? - Unknown - Unknown - Marie Ragone - Unknown - 
Frank Valiente - Unknown - Unknown - Unknown - Unknown
Top Row: Unknown - Unknown - Unknown - Unknown - Unknown - Unknown - Barbara Heinz - Unknown - Unknown - Unknown - Angela Barbalace - Unknown -  Frank Seri


Click Here to Supersize the Class Photo

                                                  Example of Supersized Photo

Thanks to Ron Arcaini for his help in creating this page

Return to Our Lady of Mt. Carmel & Fatima Church Web Page

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE